This year, I hosted my family Thanksgiving at my house and cooked the turkey, as well as made these Old-Fashioned Mashed Potatoes and Homemade Bread Stuffing. If you are planning on cooking a turkey for Christmas this year, then use your leftover turkey to make this homemade stock. Or save this recipe for next year’s Thanksgiving.
|How to Make Homemade Stock With Leftover Turkey
- Leftover turkey or chicken carcass
- 1 medium onion
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut
- 4 celery stalks, cut in half
- 1-2 teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons parsley, chopped
- Place the leftover turkey or chicken carcass, including bones and skin, into a large stock pot. Fill the pot with enough cold water to cover the bones, plus a few inches. Add the vegetables and seasonings.
- Cover the pot with a lid and place the pot on the stove over high heat. Bring the pot to a full boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Simmer the stock for 2-3 hours. Occasionally skim the foam on the surface.
- Remove the bones, then strain the stock into another pot using a strainer.
- Store the stock in a container or glass jar for 2-3 days, or freeze in ziploc bags for 3-6 months.
You might also like these recipes: