One of our traditions as a family every year is to make gingerbread houses. The kids have so much fun decorating the houses themselves. Rather than purchasing a gingerbread house kit, I purchase graham crackers and make this Gingerbread House Frosting below that is seriously the best frosting that holds the graham crackers together and keeps the candy on the houses. Plus, it’s only 3 ingredients! Since holiday candy can be expensive if you purchase a lot of different decorating options for the gingerbread houses, the way I save some money is to choose and purchase a few holiday candies and then use leftover candy from Halloween or other holidays.
Here are my cute kids making their gingerbread houses. If you take a close look, you’ll notice the orange and black gum drops on our gingerbread houses that were leftover from Halloween. Another fun family night together!
Here’s how to make the 3-ingredient Best Gingerbread House Frosting:
|The Best Gingerbread House Frosting|| |
- 3 large egg whites
- 4½ cups powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon cream of tarter
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat egg whites with an electric mixer. Add cream of tarter and mix until combined.
- Add powdered sugar in small amounts and mix well on a high speed.
- After all of the powdered sugar is added, continue mixing for another minute until the mixture thickens.
- Use frosting right then or cover and refrigerate until ready to use. Stir icing to soften before use.