My sister-in-law made this Slow Cooker Copycat Cafe Rio Sweet Pork for a family gathering. I loved it so much that I had to make it for one our family dinners. And now it’s one or our family favorite recipes. In addition, I really like adding the Cilantro Ranch Dressing to the top of the pork so I make it every time. It’s nice to have a dinner that is delicious and you don’t have to run to the restaurant to pick it up. I’m also a fan of slow cooker recipes because dinner is practically ready to eat at the end of the day. If you like this sweet pork recipe, you’ll also want to try this Slow Cooker Copycat Cafe Rio Shredded Chicken recipe here. And below is the recipe for the sweet pork.
|Slow Cooker Copycat Cafe Rio Sweet Pork & Cilantro Ranch Dressing|| |
- SWEET PULLED PORK:
- 2-3 lbs pork shoulder or butt roast
- 12 oz. can Coca-Cola, Sprite or Root Beer, divided
- ¼ cup water
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 (10 oz.) can red enchilada sauce
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 (4 oz.) can diced green chilies (optional)
- CILANTRO RANCH DRESSING:
- 1 packet (1 oz.) traditional dry ranch dressing mix
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup buttermilk*
- 2 tomatillos, remove husk and diced
- ½ to ¾ cup fresh cilantro
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 lime, juiced
- Place pork roast in the crock pot. Pour half of the Coca-Cola, Sprite or Root Beer can (3/4 cup) around the pork. Also add the water. Sprinkle the pork roast with garlic salt, salt and pepper.
- Cover the crock pot with the lid and cook on high for 5-6 hours or low for 7-8 hours.
- Remove pork from crock pot, take off fat and shred the pork. Discard the liquid from the crock pot. Place the shredded pork back in the crock pot.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together the remaining Coca-Cola, Sprite or Root Beer (3/4 cup), enchilada sauce, brown sugar and green chilies. Pour this sauce mixture over the shredded pork in the crock pot.
- Cover the crock pot with a lid and cook on high for 1 hour or low for 2 hours.
- To make the Cilantro Ranch Dressing, place the package of ranch dressing mix, mayonnaise, buttermilk, tomatillos, fresh cilantro, 1 clove garlic and lime in the blender. Blend well.
- Serve the shredded pork on tortillas, salads or tortilla chips topped with lettuce, tomatoes, olives, black beans, cheese, fresh cilantro, and the cilantro ranch dressing.
- *Note: To make 1 cup buttermilk, place 1 Tablespoon lemon juice in a one cup container, then fill the rest with milk up to the one cup line. Bring to room temperature. I usually don't have time to allow it to come to room temperature, so I let it sit 10 minutes, then add it to my recipes. It's worked great.
Leave a Reply