With the weather starting to cool down, I love making soup for dinner. And this week, we’ve had three different soups for our dinners.
This Potato & Bacon Soup is now my new favorite soup to make. You will want to plan ahead and bake the potatoes earlier in the week. Or if you forget to bake the potatoes ahead of time, just poke the potatoes with a fork and microwave them on high for 5 minutes per potato.
Be sure to also check out these 12 Favorite Soup Recipes.
Here’s how to make this delicious soup:
|Potato & Bacon Soup|| |
- 4-5 medium potatoes, baked and diced
- ½ package bacon, cooked and diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ¾ cup butter, divided
- 8 cups milk
- 4 cups water
- 4 teaspoons chicken bouillon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- ¾ cup flour
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Plan ahead by baking the potatoes earlier in the week, or if short on time, poke holes in the potatoes and microwave them on high for about 5 minutes per potato. Dice the baked potatoes.
- In a pan, cook the bacon until crisp. Drain bacon grease and place cooked bacon in a serving bowl. Set aside.
- In a large stock pot, saute onion and garlic in 2 Tablespoons butter for about 5 minutes. Add milk, water, bouillon, salt and pepper. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring regularly, for about 10 minutes until mixture is hot, not boiling.
- In a small saucepan, melt the remaining butter, mix in flour and cook for 2-3 minutes to make a roux.
- Add roux slowly to the soup in the stock pot while stirring constantly for about 5 minutes until soup thickens. Stir in potatoes, parsley and cream. Add in bacon if desired or use it only as a garnish if you prefer crisp bacon.
- Garnish with shredded cheese, bacon and green onions.
Other soup recipes you may enjoy:
Leave a Reply