This Homemade Bread Stuffing is a part of our family’s traditional Thanksgiving dinner. My mother would make it every Thanksgiving when we were younger. If you want a new stuffing recipe, try this one. Save this recipe for next year’s Thanksgiving.
|Homemade Bread Stuffing|| |
Author: Lisa Park
- 8 cups dried bread cubes (about 14 slices cut in ½ inch cubes)
- ½ cup butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1½ cups celery, chopped (about 4 large stalks)
- 2 apples, peeled and chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- 4-8 Tablespoons water or broth
- ¾ cup raisins
- About 2 days before you want to make the stuffing, cut up the bread into ½ inch cubes and place on cookie sheets to dry.
- When you are ready to make the stuffing, start by placing the raisins in a small bowl and cover with hot water. Let stand about 15 minutes, then drain the water. Set aside.
- In a medium pan on the stove, melt the butter. Add the onion, celery, and apples and cook 5-10 minutes until softened.
- In a large mixing bowl, place the dried bread. Sprinkle with the salt, pepper, poultry seasoning, and sage. Mix in the cooked vegetables. Add one Tablespoon of water/broth at a time and toss until the stuffing is moist. Mix in the raisins.
- Place the stuffing in a 9x13 pan; cover with tin foil. Bake at 300 degrees for 1 hour.
Leave a Reply