I’ve tried different sweet & sour chicken recipes, and this homemade Sweet & Sour Chicken recipe is by far the best one I’ve tasted and made. I felt it was just like the Sweet & Sour Chicken at an Asian restaurant. It does require some prep work, but this is definitely a dish I’ll be making again!
|Sweet & Sour Chicken|| |
- 3-4 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless, cut into 1-inch cubes
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ¼ cup cooking oil
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 4 Tablespoons ketchup
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- Season the 1-inch cubes of uncooked chicken with salt and pepper.
- In a gallon-size ziploc bag, place cornstarch and chicken. Seal, and toss to coat chicken.
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat until VERY HOT.
- In a shallow bowl, beat the eggs together. Dip the cornstarch-coated chicken in the egg and place them in a single layer in the pan of HOT oil.
- Cook each piece of chicken for 30 seconds on each side until golden, then place in a single layer in a 9x13 baking dish.
- To make the sauce, mix the sugar, vinegar, ketchup, soy sauce, and garlic salt in a bowl and pour over the chicken.
- Bake at 325 degrees for one hour, turning the chicken twice while cooking. Serve over rice.
- If you like extra sauce, mix together more of the sauce ingredients in a pan and simmer on the stove for 10 minutes. Serve on the side of the chicken.
I found this recipe on Mel’s Kitchen Cafe.