I made this Old-Fashioned Cream Pie, along with an Apple Pie, to take to my family Christmas dinner. It tasted great, and the kids ate it up. You could also turn this cream pie into a banana cream pie or berry cream pie by just adding bananas or berries to the top.
|Old-Fashioned Cream Pie|| || |
- 12 graham crackers, broken
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 6 Tablespoons butter, melted
- ⅔ cup sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 2½ cups cold milk
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- For the crust, break and blend graham crackers and 2 Tablespoons sugar in a mixing bowl until finely ground. Add the 6 Tablespoons butter and mix until well combined. (Reserve ¼ cup crumb mixture for topping).
- Press the crumb mixture into bottom and sides of a pie pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 7 minutes. Allow to cool while preparing filling.
- For the filling, mix the ⅔ cup sugar, salt, and cornstarch in a saucepan. Whisk in the milk and egg yolks. Heat mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture begins to bubble. Cook 1 more minute.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and stir in the vanilla, nutmeg and butter. Place in an ice bath to cool slightly before pouring into the baked crust. Sprinkle with the ¼ cup graham cracker crumbs. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
This recipe came from the Ladies’ Home Journal June 2013 issue.