I love meals that I can place in the crock pot in the morning or early afternoon and know that dinner is ready for that evening. I also love using the crock pot rather than my oven during the summer to make a family-favorite dish. This Slow Cooker Lasagna tastes really good!
Slow Cooker Lasagna
1 pound ground beef or turkey, browned
1 small onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
15 oz. can tomato sauce
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. dried basil
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
1 cup low-fat cottage cheese (or part-skim ricotta cheese)
1 1/2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
6 dry lasagna noodles, uncooked
1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
1) Brown the ground beef or turkey. Add in the onion and garlic and sauté for a few minutes. Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, salt, oregano, and basil. Add in the crushed red pepper if your family will like it a little hot. Simmer about 5 minutes.
2) In a bowl, mix the cottage cheese and 1 cup mozzarella cheese.
3) Spoon 1/3 of the beef mixture into a 5-quart slow cooker. Break 3 lasagna noodles in half and arrange them over the beef mixture. Top with half of cottage cheese/mozzarella mixture. Repeat with another layer and finish with remaining beef mixture.
4) Cover slow cooker and cook on low setting for 4 hours.
5) About 10 minutes before you eat, in a small bowl, combine the remaining 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese. Sprinkle it on top of the lasagna. Cover and let the cheese melt.