I regularly try to find new healthy salad options to add to our meals. When I tasted this Cranberry-Avocado Salad with Candied Almonds, I loved it so much I went back for seconds! The candied almonds and balsamic vinaigrette really added to the salad.
Cranberry-Avocado Salad with Candied Almonds
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 ½ tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon minced sweet onion
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup white balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
Combine all the dressing ingredients in a pint sized glass jar and shake well to dissolve sugar.
- 6 oz. bag sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 ½ Tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- sea salt
- Place a large sheet of foil on a work surface. Spray with cooking spray or rub a teaspoon of oil over foil with a paper towel.
- Place sugar in a large non-stick sauté pan and heat over medium heat, occasionally tipping and swirling the sugar until it’s all melted into a pale golden syrup.
- Lower heat immediately and add butter, cinnamon, and vanilla. Stir until well combined and all butter is incorporated into the sugar syrup.
- Add the almonds and stir gently to coat. Cover and continue to cook on low for a few more minutes, stirring every minute or so until almonds are a delicious golden brown. Watch very carefully because they can burn quickly! Turn out onto prepared foil and sprinkle liberally with sea salt. Spread out on foil to cool.
- 7-8 large Romaine lettuce leaves, cut up
- 2 medium avocados, peeled and halved
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup candied almonds (see recipe above)
Place Romaine leaves in a large bowl. Add avocado and dried cranberries and about ¼ cup of the dressing and toss gently. Scatter candied almonds over salad and sprinkle lightly with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Pass extra dressing at the table.