I’m still practicing how to make good, homemade bread. I’ve tried recipes before where my bread didn’t quite turn out. But with this recipe, I’ve made it a few times, and it’s come out beautifully every time! I like to grind my own wheat to add to the recipe to make it more of a healthy snack for my family.
Homemade White/Wheat Bread
Makes 3 loaves
1 package yeast (about 1 Tablespoon)
2 1/2 cups warm water
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons salt
3 cups white flour (I use bread flour)
1/4 cup butter, softened
3 cups wheat flour
1) Place the warm water in a bowl. Add the yeast to the top, then sprinkle on the 1 tsp. of sugar. Let stand for 10 minutes.
2) In a mixer, mix the brown sugar, salt, and white flour together. Slowly add in the yeast mixture. Then add the butter and 3 cups of wheat flour. Once it’s all combined, mix it for 5 minutes.
3) Place the dough in a greased bowl. Cover, then let raise about 1 hour until doubled.
4) Cut the dough into 3 parts. Roll them into loaves. Place them in greased and floured bread pans. Cover, and let them raise again for about 1 hour until doubled.
5) Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Bake the bread for 30-35 minutes. Take the bread out of the oven and let them stand for 5 minutes before placing them on a cooling rack. Slice up and enjoy!