This Creamy Potato Soup is the best potato soup! It’s easy to make, is delicious and isn’t just the normal potato soup. It has a few simple herbs that makes it taste good. Add all of the toppings to it to make it taste really good. I make this potato soup in the morning and place it in the crock pot until it’s time for dinner.
This potato soup is also a Christmas Eve tradition for my family. We make the soup, Cinnamon Pull-Apart Bread, and this Easy Cheese Ball every Christmas Eve. We decorate the table, and then one of the best parts of the evening is that we eat our dinner by candle light. It’s been a fun tradition for our family.
Be sure to also check out these 12 Favorite Soup Recipes.
Here is the Creamy Potato Soup recipe:
|The Best Creamy Potato Soup|| |
- POTATO SOUP:
- 8 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 1 Tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon crushed dried basil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 4 Tablespoons flour
- 2 cans (12 oz.) evaporated milk
- 6 cups potato water
- Milk as needed
- Grated Cheese
- Bacon, cooked and crumbled OR bacon bits
- Sour cream
- Green onions, chopped
- Frozen peas, thawed
- Cook potatoes and onions in 8-10 cups water for about 20 minutes until tender.
- In a small pan, melt butter. Add in parsley, basil, salt, pepper, and flour. Cook seasoned mixture for 2-3 minutes.
- Using a blender, blend small amounts at a time of potatoes (about 1 cup), potato water (about 1 cup), evaporated milk, and seasoned mixture.
- Place blended mixture in crock pot. Continue blending in small amounts until all of the potatoes, 6 cups of potato water, evaporated milk and seasoned mixture are blended together and placed into the crock pot. Add a little milk as needed to thin the soup. Bring the soup back to a hot temperature in the crock pot.
- Serve with grated cheese, croutons, bacon bits, sour cream, chopped green onions, and peas.