I regularly shop at a store where I can price match the deals I find. It also helps save me time and money because I’m not running around to multiple stores. However, I will run to other stores if there are hot deals.
I’ve calculated that I price match about $40 – $60 worth a groceries a month and use about $30 in coupons. This may not seem like a lot, but over the course of a year, it adds up to savings of nearly $1,000!
While at the grocery store, here are a few tips to make your experience run more smoothly:
Within the grocery cart, separate your regular purchases from your price matching items. Another idea is to place a sticker with the price on the items you want to price match. And take a minute to group together all the coupons you’ll be handing over to the cashier before you get to the checkout counter or while you are standing in line.
When checking out, place your regular purchases on the counter first followed by the price matching items. Make sure to place a divider in between these two groups. If you don’t clearly separate the price matching items from the non-price matching items, the cashier might ring up an item that is supposed to be price matched. If the cashier has to constantly go back to fix transactions, it could lead to frustration for both of you.
Find a cashier who looks friendly and good-natured. I’ve learned that the checkout experience with price matching and coupons will go much better with a pleasant cashier. When I arrive at the store, the first thing I do is walk through the front of the store and scope out the checkers before I begin shopping. Make sure to smile, be polite and build a relationship with the cashier.
For those of you who shop at Walmart, head over here to read “Tips on How to Price Match at Walmart.”
- Buying Groceries on a Budget: How to Determine a Budget
- Buying Groceries on a Budget: Couponing Misconceptions
- Buying Groceries on a Budget: Where to Find Coupons
- Buying Groceries on a Budget: Organizing Coupons
- Buying Groceries on a Budget: Find Sales & Stack Coupons
- Buying Groceries on a Budget: Valuable Tips to Prepare for the Shopping Trip
- Buying Groceries on a Budget: Tips During the Shopping Trip
- Buying Groceries on a Budget: 8 Additional Tips When Shopping at the Grocery Store
- Buying Groceries on a Budget: Organization & Patience
[…] via Saving cent by cent […]