12 oz. Italian or pork sausage or ground beef
1 cup chopped onion (1 large)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 can diced tomatoes, undrained (14 1/2 oz. can)
1 can tomato sauce (8 oz.)
1 Tablespoon dried Italian seasoning, crushed
1 teaspoon fennel seeds (optional)
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
6 dried lasagna noodles
1 beaten egg
1 container ricotta cheese (15 oz.) or 2 cups cottage cheese, drained
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
6 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
1. In a large saucepan cook sausage or ground beef, onion, and garlic until meat is brown. Drain.
2. Stir in undrained tomatoes, tomato sauce, Italian seasoning, fennel seeds (if desired), and pepper into meat mixture. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered for 15 minutes stirring occasionally.
3. Meanwhile, cook noodles for 10 to 12 minutes or until tender but still firm. Drain noodles; rinse with cold water. Drain well; set aside.
4. For filling, combine egg, ricotta, and Parmesan cheese. Set aside.
5. Spread about 1/2 cup of the sauce over the bottom of a 2-quart rectangular baking dish. Layer half of the cooked noodles in the bottom of the dish, trimming or overlapping as necessary to fit. Spread with half of the filling. Top with half of the remaining sauce and half of the mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers. If desired, sprinkle additional Parmesan cheese over top.
6. Place baking dish on a baking sheet. Bake at 375 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until heated through. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.