This Slow Cooker Hawaiian Meatballs is delicious! And it literally takes a few minutes to throw it in the crock pot. When it’s ready, serve it with steamed rice and vegetables on the side for dinner. And I love that this could be a great freezer meal to have on hand for busy days. Prep the ingredients in freezer ziploc bags, then on days when you know you won’t have a lot of time for dinner, grab it out of the freezer and dump it into the crock pot. Here’s how to make Slow Cooker Hawaiian Meatballs.
- 1-2 pounds precooked, frozen meatballs (or see homemade meatball recipe below)
- 20 oz. can pineapple tidbits (put juice aside in a bowl)
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- ⅔ cup vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons soy sauce
- Place the meatballs, drained pineapple tidbits and diced bell pepper in the crock pot.
- In a bowl, mix the brown sugar and cornstarch. Add in the pineapple juice, vinegar, and soy sauce. Mix well.
- Pour the sauce on top of the meatballs.
- Cook in crock pot on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 6-8 hours. Serve with rice.
- TO MAKE A FREEZER MEAL:
- Place the meatballs, drained pineapple tidbits and diced bell pepper in a large gallon-size Ziploc bag.
- In a bowl, mix the brown sugar and cornstarch. Add in the pineapple juice, vinegar, and soy sauce. Mix well. Pour the sauce into a small Ziploc bag and seal.
- Place the small bag of sauce inside the large bag with the meatballs. Seal the large bag.
- Write the date on the bag and label it with instructions to cook everything in a crock pot on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 hours. Place bag in freezer.
Here’s the recipe to make delicious homemade meatballs.
- 1 lb. ground beef or ground turkey
- ⅔ cup cracker crumbs or bread crumbs
- ⅔ cup onion, chopped
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- To make the meatballs, mix together the ground beef/turkey, cracker crumbs, onion, egg, milk, salt, pepper, and ginger.
- Roll them into 1-inch diameter balls and place on a baking sheet with parchment paper. Bake at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes.
- The meatballs can be prepared ahead of time and stored in the fridge or freezer.